3.03.2011

FO: Daybreak

One of my goals for this year is to knit things that I will actually wear. It seems like a simple enough resolution, but in actual practice pretty difficult, at least for me. I often get swept away by how a project is styled in a magazine or book and irrationally decide on the spot to cast on for it. Never mind that I will never look or dress at all like one of those romantic heroines in the Rowan magazines. At least I can have their sweater, right? But then that very same sweater ends up in the back of my closet, never to be worn more than a couple of times. This year, I am consciously editing my knitting choices to things that are more practical to my personal style or lack thereof. That's not to say that I will forgo all fantasy knitting...a girl can dream. But for my everyday outfit of jeans, t-shirt and sneakers, something like Daybreak is just the thing to add a little knitter's swagger to my steps.


It was such a fun and relaxing knit, requiring no drama at all.


 The end result is a warm, colorful and versatile accessory....


....that goes with my favorite kicks.


(hey, I hear there's a party over at Tami's blog! Go check out these cool FO's)

10 comments:

  1. An excellent resolution, and a lovely shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/04/2011

    That is a really cute little shawl. HOWEVER, I have no qualms of taking your neglected hand-knit sweaters off your hands and incorporating them into my wardrobe for you. =P I can do the whole romantical thing for a handknit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shawl! I haven't made a Daybreak yet, but maybe it would help me use up some of the stack of leftover fingering yarn that continues to grow here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same fear. Once I start making sweaters/clothes, I'll make all the pretty ones, not the ones that will actually look good one me. LOL Your daybreak turned out great and I LOVE your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out great! I have a problem with making things I never wear too, although that's mostly because the things I make for myself never fit right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made the same resolution this year after a bad experience with a fingering weight halter top. And I love your Daybreak. I may have to break down and make one for myself now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3/05/2011

    I love the stripes and the colors you chose! Awesome job.

    I had to laugh at your first paragraph, because I do the same thing. I always picture myself wearing the sweaters like a Rowan model, scowling in the middle of a field or in a cafe in Italy or something, rather than me wearing them in my real life, going to work and the grocery store. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic shawl, looks like you will get alot of use out of it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I often have the same problem - I knit things I can never wear. I need something that go well with my Asics, LOL! Your shawl came out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the shawl, what great colors. My problem is I never make anything for myself. I always feel like well that can wait until I get x y z done for charity. They need it more then me...sometimes I get as far as buying the yarn. Then fritter it away a little here and little there in other projects.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

I would ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ to hear from you!