9.12.2011

Slowing Down


Did you know that we are in the midst of a Slow Crafts Movement? I had not heard of the term until I came across this book** which showcases the art of hand sewing. I guess that the concept has been a subconscious part of my life ever since the knitting bug bit many years ago. The Slow Crafts Movement to me is a return to the traditional ways of doing things. It lets us connect with the past as well as preserve these traditions for future generations. With so many devices on the market, it is harder and harder to be unplugged nowadays. Even the act of reading a book has become technologized by Kindles, nooks and iPads. Sure, these devices offer fast and easy access to a world of information with just a few clicks. And I freely admit to being hooked on my Kindle and iPad. But I also miss the weight of a book in my hands, the sound of turning pages, the smell of paper. The act of involving the senses! That is why I love knitting. What modern gadget can replace the feel of yarn, be it rough or soft? The beautiful colors in every shade imaginable. The smell of wool. The sound of needles busily clicking away as a wondrous weight of fabric grows from them. My family often accuse me of being old-fashioned. Yeah, I am. It is my way of slowing down.

**If you are interested in unplugging your sewing machine and making classic, pretty projects by hand, then this book is definitely one to look into. There are lots of vintage inspired projects for the house, toys, bags, even an apron made out of button-down shirts. Each project is rated with a portability factor for those who want to sew on the go.

5 comments:

  1. After starting with hand sewing lessons, my grandmother progressed to teaching me to sew on a treadle machine. I lovvvvveeeddd the feel of the treadle (which my explain, in part, why I love spinning now). I am fortunate enough to have the machine she taught me on...although it is now in use as a makeup vanity table. (the belt is broken and I have not taken the time to find a replacement) But still, it is comforting to know that I still sit at the same cabinet every day now and Granny is with me that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book sounds really interesting, although I am not at all good at hand sewing! I can't manage a straight line by hand or on a machine ;)

    I know what you mean about books, which is why I don't use the bookstore on my ipad and haven't bought a kindle (even though I think they're great) - reading is too tactile for me to relinquish having the book in my hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the intersection of the traditional crafts with the Internet...

    I suspect that I wouldn't be nearly as addicted to knitting if I were restricted, as my mother & grandmothers were, to the yarn and patterns available in the local drugstore or the Mary Maxim catalog.

    I think that crafts that might otherwise be rare or lost have gained new life through our online communities -- I never would have guessed how many people in the world are spinning their own yarn, for example. And I learned how to spin it too, mostly using Internet resources, rather than being lucky enough to have a spinner in the family or the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great point, Marushka! We are lucky to have the best of both worlds. Without places like ravelry and all the creative blogs on the Internet, knitting would not be nearly as much fun or interactive. I wrote this post during Hurricane Irene when the power was off for hours and hours. It was funny to see how certain members of my family seemed to be at a stand still because there was no television, video games or internet. What they thought as time lost, I viewed as an opportunity to get lots of knitting in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dina....One of my most vivid childhood memories was watching my mother sew on our old treadle machine. I loved watching plain pieces of fabric magically transformed into the prettiest and most outrageous dresses for myself and my sister. You are so lucky to have your Granny's machine and all the lessons that came with it.

    ReplyDelete

I would ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ to hear from you!