1.01.2014

lessons learned in 2013 :: looking ahead

Cowls

Shawls

Accessories

Ornaments

Sweaters

2013 could best be described as the Year of the Turtle for me. It felt like a slow meander through the days and months leading up to this point. My total number of finished objects (just 23) reflect this.

But I have learned from previous years that it is not the quantity but the quality of the projects that matters most. I started the year with only one set goal: to enjoy and have fun with my projects. I can happily say that I have accomplished this goal. It is also interesting to see that despite giving myself such directionless freedom, I have actually learned more new techniques and skills this year than in the previous year:  brioche knitting, three dimensional knitting, dyeing yarn, spinning with a spindle, designing (just a little).

Looking ahead to 2014, I would love to continue to play around more with spinning, dyeing, designing (and actually learning how to properly write up my patterns) & fair isle knitting. Also, this year will be the Year of the Steek! I know I say that every year but this year I really mean it ;)

And guess what was under the Christmas tree? A trip to NYC for Vogue Knitting Live in a few weeks! I am very excited to be taking classes with Franklin Habit and Nancy Bush. These are two people whom I have long admired and look forward to learning from. A big thanks goes out to my hubby who will be holding down the fort while I get a jump start on my new year of learning. Also a heartfelt thank you to all of you guys. You make this crazy creative journey fun! Happy New Year!

5 comments:

  1. You made some beautiful projects in 2013! Your commitment to learning new skills in commendable. It certainly didn't look like the year of the turtle to me! I've enjoyed seeing how you've been incorporating your knits into your daily wear as well. I look forward to seeing what you get up to on 2014. Maybe we should have a steek-along. That been on my to do list for a long time too.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! You are going to LOVE love love love both Nancy and Franklin (I've taken classes with both of them and they are fabulous!!!! What a great gift!!!)
    I can't imagine that 2014 will be better knitwise than 2013....love everything you made!
    Happy New Year...Happy Knitting Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stuff all! And woohoo a knitting convention!!! I love Nancy Bush!! Took a class or two from her at Stitches events. Such a gracious lady. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I always think the things you make are beautiful, but all together like this I sigh with envy! As for a knitting convention in NY? Sounds like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I'll be at VK Live, too - maybe we can meet in real life? (PM me on Rav MarieInNYC or email me if you have time to do that.) I love your projects from 2013 and am glad you learned a lot of new techniques!

    ReplyDelete

I would ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ to hear from you!